Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tease It Tuesday - S.M. Reine's "The 19 Dragons"

Tease It Tuesday sees me tempting you to read something awesome, whether it's my own work (highly doubtful) or the work of a much more talented author. This week, I dare you to read the work of S.M. Reine.

Below you'll find my review of her novella "The 19 Dragons." See what I have to say, then go check out her stuff first hand.

And on a related note, Ms. Reine, along with fellow author Angela Kulig, just started an indie publishing company called Red Iris Books

And now... let the teasing begin!

The 19 DragonsThe 19 Dragons by S.M. Reine

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


S.M. Reine's "The 19 Dragons" is something else.

And I don't mean, "Whoa, man, that story sure was somethin' else."

I mean, it truly is something different. The reader jumps into this novella expecting steampunk elements, which are certainly present. Yet, mingled into this story is a fantasy angle that will capture the imagination of anyone who loves the work of Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, or Alan Moore. The narrative is surprising, paced well and offers some truly intriguing images of a world so similar to our own, yet so very different.

One of the most interesting elements of "The 19 Dragons" is S.M. Reine's use of white space. The author provides a warning that these blank spaces are intentional. It's an experiment in using text and lack of text as a way to communicate visually that which is possibly too large for words. This playful tinkering with visual presentation leaves the reader feeling like something else has happened.

This novella is not simply read. It's experienced.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment