Monday, May 9, 2011

Changes & Inspiration

I'm changing things at the blog just a little bit.

I have a huge back log of indie authors to be featured on the Showcase and up until now, I've posted them three times a week. At the same time, I have a novel that I am trying to push through the editing process and that is quite time-consuming. Until I can hire a professional editor to do it for me (leaving me with more time to play Angry Birds conduct important research online), I'll have to do it myself. It is, without a doubt, my least favorite part of the process; but it's also the most important.

So what are the changes?

I'm only doing two Showcases a week from now on. That pushes the back log well into August or beyond, but I'm okay with this. I have to free up some time for the novel. Sometimes, I may feature two authors in one post... some weeks, I may only do one showcase. And once I'm done with the final edit of this novel, I'm sure the blog activity will change again. So, just bare with me. I'm a Noob.

Speaking of Noob, I want to point your eager little eyes towards THIS GUY.  Michael R. Hicks is a science fiction and fantasy writer who provides a great blog about marketing for indie authors. His most recent post is basically a break down of his own Kindle sales figures over the past few months.

This man came to chew bubble gum and sell some books... and he's all out of bubble gum.

Take a look at his sales figures and pay particular attention to how they've steadily increased in just a matter of months. That's inspiration, folks. You're looking at pure inspiration.

As I tell friends and family about this project... no, not a project... this publishing paradigm shift I find myself a part of, I am frequently asked, "So, can you make money doing this?"

Five years ago, I would have sheepishly answered, "Maybe." And my friends or family would have rolled their eyes and talked about something more meaningful than my publishing pipe dreams.

But things are different now. Writers are making this work. And it's not just a few examples like Amanda Hocking or JA Konrath or John Locke. It's happening to writers who don't have the legacy publishing experience. Every week, I find two or three new reasons why I shouldn't quit doing what I'm doing.

And the example set by Michael R. Hicks is reason number one for this week.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a novel to prep.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with the novel prepping. I know how touch and time consuming that can be. I'm still first drafting, and that can get pretty boggy sometimes. Thanks for the link to Michael's site, great resource.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. The whole process is at once exhilarating and intimidating. It's the closest thing I'll ever get to something like bull fighting. At least if my novel gets too rowdy, it will only gore me in a psychological sense.

    Good luck with your draft! And thanks for swinging by my blog.

    ReplyDelete